Building a fan base for your music is often the hardest obstacle to overcome as an independent artist. As artists, we tend to feel that the music should speak for itself, but that leads to an endless cycle of us releasing music and getting no response. Learning how to promote your music is the best thing you can do to build your career without having to worry about pitching music industry gatekeepers. Here are five strategies you can use to market your music and get more fans.
1. Live Shows – Your live show is by far the easiest way to connect with potential fans. They get to hear your music AND learn about your personality. If you make a good impression, you can also make a lifelong fan.
2. Video – Video is King on nearly every platform right now. Social Media sites are rewarding compelling visuals by boosting their visibility on the platforms without charging extra. It’s a great way to expand your reach without having to spend a lot of money. If you’re consistent, you’ll see your audience rise month after month.
3. Collaborations & Brand Partnerships – The easiest way to build your audience? Sharing someone else’s. Find artists, bands and other businesses that complement yours, and ask how you can help them out in a way that gains you visibility. Your networking skills are key to making this work.
4. Social Media – Social Media is great because there are already audiences there. The key is to learn what types of people may be interested in your music, and meet them where they are. Whether it’s Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or YouTube, it is important that you give fans a view into who you really are. Don’t try to be too professional or polished. Engage with your audience, and promote yourself when it’s appropriate.
5. Paid Advertising – Now that you’ve used Social Media insights to learn more about the people who love your music, you can put money into an advertising campaign that will get you even more results. The great thing about online ads is that you can laser-target your intended audience and get major returns. Just be sure you know who your target is before you start spending, because it is easy to lose money on people that aren’t interested.