D’banj is a celebrated musician who through his songs has taken the music scene, particularly in Africa by storm. He’s a Nigeria songwriter, businessman and harmonica player who has won several music awards. Just like most celebrities, D’banj has managed to keep his private life out of the limelight, and very little is known about him. But here we bring you 38 things you might not have known about the entertainment.
1 .His real name is Dapo Daniel Oyebanjo (popularly known as D’banj)
2 . He was born on June 9, 1980 .
3 . Dbanj was born in Zaria , Kaduna State , Nigeria to a military officer who commanded an artillery regiment and a church dignitary mother who hailed from Shagamu in Ogun State .
4 . At Age 11 , DBanj was enrolled to the Nigerian Military School but disenrolled from the school after three years . From the Nigerian Military School he proceeded to another military owned institution Nigerian Navy Secondary School , Ibara , Abeokuta where he completed his secondary school education .
5 . His Genres are Afropop , R & B & Pop.
6 . he is signed to the following labels : DB Records
7 . At 14 DBanj picked up the ” Harmonica ” . He was introduced to this instrument by his late elder brother , Femi Oyebanjo who tragically died in a plane crash at 17.
8 . In 1999 , DBanj went on to study Mechanical Engineering at UNILAG ( University of Lagos ) .
9 . He performs in 3 Languages : Yoruba, English and Pidgin English .
10. His mentor is Fela Anikulapo Kuti.
11 . His signature style is “ SHADES ” . He doesn’t go anywhere without them , even at night . Plus his 2 wristwatches .
12. Fresh from London, Dbanj and his producer and friend , Don Jazzy, broke into the Nigerian music scene with the single ‘ Tongolo ’ in 2004.
13 . His debut album was No Long Thing earned him ‘ Best Newcomer’ award at the 2006 Channel O Music Video Awards. The album featured hit singles like ‘ Tongolo ’ , ‘ Socor ‘ and ‘ Mobolowowon ‘ .
14. He released his sophomore album in 2006. The Don Jazzy – produced album had massive hits like ‘ Why me‘ , ‘ Tongolo Remix ’ ‘ Run Down‘ and ‘ Loke ‘ .
15 . In 2007 , He , alongside Don Jazzy , launched “ Mo ’ Hits Records ”
16. After two great albums and Mo’ Hits launch , Dbanj and Don Jazzy with new acts , Dr Sid , Wande Coal , D ’ Prince and K- Switch released its debut and only compilation album Curriculum Vitae with hit singles like ‘ Pere ‘ , ‘ Move your body ‘ , ‘ Ten Ten ‘ , ‘ Booty Call‘ and Ololufe ‘ all became national hits .
17. In 2017 , he released his fourth and last studio album , King Don Come .
18. ‘ The Entertainer ’ contained hit songs like ‘ Gbono Feli Feli Suddenly ‘ , ’ Fall in Love‘ and ‘ Igwe ’
19. In 2009 , Dbanj stormed the airwaves with another smash single, Scape Goat‘ .
20 . In 2010 , Dbanj campaigned for President Goodluck Jonathan and even remixed his 2009 single ‘ Scape Goat’ to a Goodluck Jonathan presidential campaign song . It was reported that he , alongside his Partner Don Jazzy , got a whooping sum of N 40 million for that service It was also reported that the N 40 million was expended on 2 Bentleys ’ making them the first showbiz stars to own the prestigious autos .
21. In 2011, Dbanj signed to Kanye West’ s G . O. O. D Music in 2011 and also released ‘ Oliver Twist ’ which peaked at number 9 on the UK iTunes chart . Also reaching # 2 on the UK R &B chart . On June 9, 2011, D ’ banj wrote on his Twitter account , @ iamdbanj , “ Just like yesterday , myself and my brother did Tongolo . 7 years later , Mo’ Hits signs with GOOD Music . Best Birthday gift ever. God thank you . ”
22 . In 2012 , He set up his own record label DB Records , signing his brother K Switch alongside two producers , Jaysleek and Deevee .
23. D ’ banj sparked reports that he had quit GOOD Music when he deleted the Kanye West- led record label from his Twitter biography .
24 . Apart from a cameo appearance in the video for ‘ Mercy ‘ and a 12- second stint on ‘ The Morning‘ , a song off the 2012 G .O .O .D Music compilation album Cruel Summer , D ’ banj never made any impactful record with the Kanye West – led music group.
25. He has released many hit songs in his more than 14 – years career
26 . DBanj tagged “ Legendary Womanizer ” by DailyMail is linked to several women like Genevieve Nnaji , Aminu Abubakar ,Rukky Sanda , Mercy Johnson , Abiola Bashorun , Jennifer Obayunwa , Ini Edo , Nadia Buari , Kenya Moore …
27 . He has won the numerous awards in his career :
Most Promising Male Artist ; KORA All African Awards – 2005
Best Newcomer; Channel O Music Video Awards – 2006
Hip Hop World Revelation ; Hiphop World Awards – 2006
Artiste of the Year ; Nigerian Music Awards – 2006
Best African Act; MTV Europe Music Awards – 2007
Hottest Single of the Year ‘ Why Me ’; Nigeria Entertainment
Best Special Effects ‘ Why Me ’; Channel O Music Video Awards – 2007
Artiste of the Year ; MTV Africa Music Awards – 2008
Best Male ; MTV Africa Music Awards – 2008
Listeners Choice; MTV Africa Music Awards – 2008
Artiste of the Year ; MTV Africa Music Awards – 2009
Best International Act Africa ; BET Awards – 2011
Best African Act; MOBO Awards – 2012
28 . He has bagged many Endorsement deals with many brands
29 . He ’ s got numerous nickies ranging from Koko Master ( 2005 ) ,
Skibanj ( 2006) , Mr. Endowed ( 2010 ) , Eja Nla ( 2012 ) , Banga Lee
( 2013), kiniun funfun (2015), Issa Banger (2018)
30. Dapo Daniel Oyebanjo, popularly known as D ’ Banj , signed a new endorsement deal with Globacom Nigeria in November, 2013. This is D’ Banj ’ s second endorsement deal with the telecommunications
company; the first ended in 2010 with the artiste ’ s refusal to extend his 2008 two – year contract .
31 . His Role Models are Kanye West, Micheal Jackson , Usher, Jay – Z , R.Kelly, and Fela . D ’ banj ’ s first record ever bought was R , Kelly’s 12 Play ” album
32. D ’ banj is the founder of Koko Foundation for Youth and Peace Development.
33 . He is also Nigeria ’ s first United Nations Youth Ambassador for Peace .
34. He has the following International collabos to his credit .
Snoop Dogg – Mr. Endowed & Blame it on the Money , Kanye West –
Koko Concert London & Scape Goat Remix , Pusha T – Koko Concert
Lagos , Big Sean – Koko Concert Lagos & Blame it on the Money , Fally
Ipupa – We the Best & DKM Concert Lagos , 2Chainz – DKM Concert Lagos .
35 . D ’ BANJ has worked with Snoop Dogg, Kanye , Jay Z , Kid Cudi , LA
Reid, Tinie Tempah, Rio Ferdinand , Idris Alba among others.
36. D ’ BANJ remains one of the most celebrated pop stars in Nigeria
and on the international scene .
37. D ’ banj ’ s 2011 smash hit ‘ Oliver Twist’ is arguably his biggest song .
38. “ Oliver Twist” is the first video out of Africa to surpass 20 million views mark on Youtube .